Ccache on btrfs
Leonidas Spyropoulos
2014-10-17 17:11:02 UTC
Hi

Is there an issue with btrfs ccache and multiple threads during compilation? I'm experiencing kernel panics while building Linux kernel on a btrfs system with -j8 and ccache enabled. Google suggest there was some issue on earlier kernels but my kernel is 3.16+

Anyone can confirm?

Thanks
Leonidas
Leonidas Spyropoulos
2014-10-17 19:24:38 UTC
i use ccache and often compile linux from git,
I don't catch any errors with it.
Interesting, I re-enabled ccache on an ext4 partition (HDD) and worked
fine. So I suspect it's something to do with btrfs and SSD. My mount
options are:
/dev/sda3 on /home type btrfs (rw,relatime,ssd,discard,nospace_cache)

The problem is that I can't get hold of kernel panic since it's not in
the journal [1]. I don't know a way to get hold of the kernel panic log
to help anyway.

What would it be useful to debug it?

[1] using systemd

Leonidas
Josef Bacik
2014-10-17 20:32:43 UTC
Post by Leonidas Spyropoulos
i use ccache and often compile linux from git,
I don't catch any errors with it.
Interesting, I re-enabled ccache on an ext4 partition (HDD) and worked
fine. So I suspect it's something to do with btrfs and SSD. My mount
/dev/sda3 on /home type btrfs (rw,relatime,ssd,discard,nospace_cache)
The problem is that I can't get hold of kernel panic since it's not in
the journal [1]. I don't know a way to get hold of the kernel panic log
to help anyway.
What would it be useful to debug it?
Setup netconsole, you can set it to go to a different box and then on
that box run

nc -lu -p 514 > out.txt

and then reproduce the panic. If you are using fedora you can install
netconsole and edit /etc/sysconfig/netconsole and set SYSLOGADDR=<your
other boxes address>. Thanks,

Josef